Visitors were charged threepence for admission (including parking and hot water) and negotiated lower train fares for those who came by rail at the weekends. Picnics were major social events in the early 20th century, and large groups, both local and from Wellington – including the harbour board, waterside workers and transport workers – held their picnics in the park.
Davis later offered the park to the town board for £1300, but ratepayers refused to approve the deal. He then leased it to the council with right of purchase for 10 years, and the council bought it for £6000.
A cricket ground was established early, while a pavilion was being sought in October 1949.
Meetings of the Cycling Club held meetings in a Memorial Hall; this may have been demolished when the current cricket pavilion was built in the 1960s or early 70s.
Plans for a swimming pool at the park had been drawn up in 1939, but lapsed with the death of mayor Peter Robinson.
In a July 1947 meeting to consider war memorials, options included a library, a community centre at somewhere like Barton's Bush, or a swimming pool; government would pay pound-for-pound for community amenities. In September it was agreed that a community centre would be appropriate (the RSA preferred a swimming pool). The subject came up again in January 1951, triggered by a £250 donation by Arthur Clouston, but eventually Barton's Bush was selected as the war memorial (now Trentham Memorial Park); a second memorial would not get the government subsidy.
In 1953 a Swimming Baths Association was formed; the Borough Council council had agreed to the use of part of Maidstone Park. By February 1957 the Association had raised £3400, and had excavated a pool site, but was dwindling in strength; the Council agreed (with one dissenting) to continue the work. In June the RSA annual meeting agreed that the word 'Memorial' be included in the title, and that a plaque be included. The War Memorial Swimming Baths were opened on December 13, 1958. They (eventually) comprised a separate lengths pool, diving pool, and toddler's pool; there was a war memorial in the open space in front; it was superseded in 1973 by a cenotaph at the civic administration building.
In December 1963, Council had documents ready, and tenders for a filtration plant might be received by year's end; chlorination had been carried out manually.
In Stokes Valley a new indoor pool had been completed in 1983, and in Upper Hutt the Swimming Club began to agitate for an enclosed pool and an Indoor Pool Society was formed. It came up with a proposal for an extended facility at Maidstone Park; a plan was printed in the August 13, 1985 'leader'.
By April 1998 the Fergusson Drive all-weather centre was in action; the Maidstone pools had closed, and buildings had been vandalised; demolition began in November.
On the asphalt in front of the pools, a wooden half-pipe for skateboarders was built by Round Table in the middle 1990s; it was approximately 4 metres deep and wide; Upper Hutt College pupils added coloured murals in 1992.
A contract for redevelopment of the park's new playground was let to C & R Building and Construction in November 2000, with the skate park to be completed by Christmas, with twin flying foxes, a Roktopus, elevated mound and junior lay equipment ready by March.
The Maidstone Max skateboard area and children's playground was opened on April 28, 2001.
City status proclamation, Maidstone Park 15; Governor-General Sir Bernard and Lady Fergusson about to leave.
City status proclamation, Maidstone Park 12; Governor-General Sir Bernard Fergusson declares Upper Hutt a city.
City status proclamation, Maidstone Park 13; Governor-General Sir Bernard Fergusson declares Upper Hutt a city.
Now also with an all-weather sports ground, the Maidstone Max skateboard park and children's play area; bush on the hills behind also contains mountain-bike tracks.Coordinates Children's area; flying foxes etc., pictured. Model railway track. Maidstone Max; skateboard area. Sports ground