Golder Cottage Museum, 707 Fergusson Drive
The original land included the sections to west and east; all of them extended as far as the Hutt River.
It was originally called 'Straven Cottage', because John Golder's father William Golder was born and lived in Strathaven, Scotland before migrating to New Zealand in 1840.
John and his wife, Jane, brought up a family of 12 children(one son was named as Bertrand by his daughters Jean (Sister Bertrand) of Auckland, and Irene Wilmshurst of Pukenui near Hamilton, when they visited the cottage in 1998; the photo data below gives him as Bertram.
The photo, dated around 1892, comes with the following list of the family;
Golder, John, 1849-1902
Golder, Jane (nee Martin), 1855-1942
Golder, Alexander, 1878-1968
Golder, John Anthony, 1879-1968
Golder, Francis Joseph, 1881-1954
Golder, William Martin, 1883-1948
Golder, Mary Elizabeth, 1885-1918
Golder, Bertram, 1887-1980
Golder, Thomas Charles, 1889-1972
Golder, Agnes, 1891-1967
Golder, Theresa Isabella, 1894-1988, was the ninth child, and lived 92 years at Straven.
The museum website says there were 12 children.
The following is an extract from an article in the September 3, 2014 'Leader'.
"Local military researcher and genealogist Lynly Yates has contributed research on Alexander, the oldest Golder son from the original family, and the youngest of the 12 children of the family to reach manhood, Linus.
Alex, an overseer for the first Upper Hutt Borough Council, served his country from 1917 to 1918. The cottage displays a large illuminated testimonial from grateful ratepayers, presented when he went off to war. Unmarried, he lived at the cottage to the ripe old age of 90.
Linus, born 20 years later, signed up towards the end of the war and died at the age of 20 in September 1918 of the influenza while on the ship going to war.
That same "black flu" had more impact on the family.
Theresa Golder, the last member of the family to ever live at 707 Fergusson Drive in the cottage, was a Red Cross nurse, and later founder of the Upper Hutt Red Cross.
She was set on nursing as a career, but when she was 20 her sister-in-law Ruby died from the 1918 black flu. Theresa's brother Frank brought his two sons , Francis and baby John, to the cottage. Placing the baby in Theresa's arms, he said "They are yours to bring up now". In those days one did not go against the wishes of the family and Theresa's nursing books to this day remain in the book-case in the cottage lounge. They no doubt came in useful in the years following, as Theresa nursed her own mother, Jane, and two elder unmarried brothers, Alex and Johnnie, in their later years. Alex of course was the "one who came home" from WWI."
The house was occupied by members of the Golder family until 1985, when it was bought for $51 500 by the Upper Hutt City Council, to ensure the cottage being preserved as part of the city's heritage.
The caption of a photo in the September 10 'Leader' describes it as needing extensive repair. (Neither of the two photos printed is in the collection.) On July 1, 1986, a 'Leader' 'Historic problem' article said the Council was considering demolition unless a group could be found willing to fund its restoration, relocate it, and use it 'in a suitable manner'. Renovation for community use might cost $19 000. The Historical Society's president, Stan Northcote-Bade's objections were described.
On July 24 a meeting heard various suggestions for the cottage's future; the mayor, his deputy and two or more councillors were present, and representatives from the Historical Society and Round Table; two electricians and an architectural designer offered their services. Health inspector Dan Leyland spoke for a group proposing to spend $100 000 to make it into a restaurant similar to Wellington's Plimmer House; other less-concrete suggestions were museum or craft shop with tearooms. A sub-group would meet a week later.
Later that year, a steering committee was formed to investigate the future of the cottage and grounds, and on 18 May 1987 the Golder Homestead Society Incorporated was formed, to ensure the work of restoration and development was carried out. The buildings were donated to the Society in June, fundraising was launched on November 8 with a champagne breakfast, and restoration began with re-piling; the contract was let in July 1988. The November 14, 1989 'leader' announced a $18 183 Lottery Grants Board donation.
Golder Cottage Museum officially opened on Saturday November 17, 1990; the 'Leader' printed a long article on its story, and pictures of the Golders with two children, and of the living room, on November 13.
At the 1991 annual general meeting, Wayne Otway and his wife Lynn were made honorary life members.
In November 1991 the Upper Hutt Herb Society built and planted a herb spiral in the grounds.
The Historic Places Trust upgraded the cottage from Class D to Class C in April 1992; the food store received its first classification; a D.
The June 1992 AGM reported the restoration of the food store, with a colonial wooden bench, sink and safe, restoration of the pump, and a picket fence at the front.
Jill McAlister's Kiwi Kids Talent Company were pictured in Victorian costume outside the cottage in colour on the front page of the November 2, 1992 'Leader'; they were to give fund-raising concerts at the Hapai Club on the 14th and 15th.
The 1993 AGM was covered in the July 5 'Leader'; a highlight had been the completion of the unique foodstore in the grounds; it was classified with a D rating for its historical significance or architectural quality.
Brendan Weir and Jodine Jones were married there in March 1994; probably the first wedding held there; Golder family weddings were at St Joseph's.
The June 13, 1994 'Leader' reported that the 13-metre kowhai tree in the front garden had been added to the Institute of Horticulure Notable Tree register.
The June 19, 1996 showed one of six life-size models made by Sister Louis Bertrand Golder, aged 76 and living in Auckland. Grandmother Jane Golder was pictured; also listed were Sister Bertrand's grandfather, Bert, and a young John and Jane.
In 2001 a Council offer of $24 648 for a sprinkler system was declined; the April 11 'Leader' reported acceptance of $2350 for an additional fire hose and upgraded water connection.
Since then an extensive programme including visits by schools and tours has been undertaken.
House, Fergusson Drive; No. 707; Golder cottage, built in 1876 by John Golder; originally called 'Straven'.
Golders Cottage 125th anniversary; TV's 'Pioneer Family', the 'Feyens' and the mayor with his family.
Golders Cottage; fundraising manager Gary Cooper; Golder descendants Pat Dunstan and Janice Brown; Museum Society chairman Wayne Otway.
The original form of the cottage was a simple gable, shingle clad roof with two rooms upstairs and two down, and a veranda across the front. It has had three additions to form the dwelling now standing on the historic site.
The additions to the house in 1880, 1900 and 1920 reflect the growing size of the Golder family.
The property also contains a hen house, laundry, toilet, dairy, water pump, and food store.Coordinates The original cottage and the kowhai tree. Scullery and bathroom lean-to, 1920s Added rooms, 1900. Kitchen and bedroom lean-to.