21872
Open/Close Toolbox
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 New Zealand License
Format: Place
Linked To
Photos
StreetView
Copyright
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 New Zealand LicenseThis licence lets you remix, tweak, and build upon our work non-commercially and although your new works must also acknowledge us and be noncommercial, you do not have to license the derivative works on the same terms.
Menu
Benge's Building, 146-148 Main Street; Red Robin Milk Bar and first library
History
HistoryThe following has been compiled from 'Upper Hutt Weekly Reviews' from 1935 to 1939, and 'Upper Hutt Leaders' from 1939 to 1964; almost entirely from classified advertisements.
Later years are not available in electronic form, and have not been manually searched.
The 'Red Robin corner' building was reportedly built for David Clyde, a Great War veteran; it was not named after him, but after the builder, J J Benge. The Clydes may have been tenants, and may have lived upstairs initially, but in the first readily-available electoral roll, 1929, their home address was given as Seddon Street.
There is a picture, dated 1930, in the library collection; it shows David Clyde in his long white apron, standing in the shop's doorway.
The adjacent Red Robin Confectionery & Tea Rooms, under various titles, was obviously a well-known landmark; it would turn up in lost-and-found advertisements, both in locations where things had been lost or found ('between [some place] and the Red Robin'), and as a place where goods had been found, or could be returned. It was also the venue for various associations' meetings, and some wedding receptions.
The 'Upper Hutt Weekly Review' carried its first advertisement for the Red Robin Tea Rooms on December 20, 1935, shortly after the paper started; a Mrs Burgess was named as in charge in a 1936 article. The phone number was 103, whereas Clyde's number was 134M, on a party line (Duncan's Drapery, across the road, was 134K), so the businesses were apparently unrelated.
The Majestic Theatre's advertisements in the Review sometimes stated 'Box plan at the Red Robin'.
'D. Clyde' advertised in the Upper Hutt Weekly Review from its beginning in 1935; the first advertisement, in December, was about dried fruits for the festive season. In its successor, the 'Leader' at its beginning in 1939, he listed preserving jars and covers at first, and later and more typically, "GROCERIES & PROVISIONS of finest quality at City Prices. Small Goods a Specialty". A later advertisement is notable for the weights to be handled; "POULTRY KEEPERS. Feeding Barley, 1501b. sacks. 14/9*; 50 lbs. 5/-; Mixed Grain, 60 lbs. 7/9; Pollard (Aust.) 1401b. sacks. 16/-; Bran, Meatmeal, Shells, etc."
*14 shillings and ninepence ($1.48) for a sack weighing 68 kg.
By October he was advertising "SWAN BRAND Cooked Ham, Luncheon, Sausages, Bacon, etc. kept in latest Shelvador Refrigerator."
In August 1939 the Red Robin was sold to Mr E M Young.
In June 1940 David Clyde announced that he had passed the grocery and provision business to J W Hazelwood so that he could go on service; outstanding payments could be made at the Red Robin Tea Room, or at his residence. The same paper reported that he had linked up with the Y.M.C.A. and would be going overseas after a short training.
The May 30, 1941 'Leader' listed 'further enlistments' including Mr R Clyde, only son of Mr and Mrs D Clyde, joining the third echelon. R Clyde had turned up in reports on hockey, and was Robert McIntosh Clyde; probably named after his mother, Nora.
In September 1941 Herbert Thompson stated that he had taken over the Red Robin Confectionery and Dining Rooms from a Mrs Corder; Mr and Mrs Thompson offered midday 3-course meals, hot teas, and after-theatre suppers. Its telephone number in 1944 was 134S; the Red Robin may have taken over the grocery space.
(This Mr Thompson may have been the local newsagent, and owner of the Majestic and Mayfair theatres.) Note from Brian Pearce - the latter was Allan Kohn Thompson.
The 1944-47 borough electoral roll listed David Clyde, soldier, and Nora, married; Robert, shopkeeper, and Elizabeth, his wife, all living in Seddon Street.
In September-October 1946 Miss Nola King, photographer, advertised; her studios were above the Red Robin.
In October 1946, R(obert) M Clyde was named as proprietor of the Red Robin Tea Rooms.
R G Bird's lawn-mowing service ("No Grass Too Tough for this Bird") named the Red Robin as his agents from May to November 1947.
By September 1947 the Red Robin Pastrycooks was being run by D Clyde, had installed a Modern Electric Oven, and were in a position to cater for Dances, Parties, etc. Soon they were offering weekend special cakes, which could also be bought at Stott's, in Camp Road, and later, at Childs', Pinehaven.
In October 1947, Leo Quinn, back from the war, and originally advertised as being with Bill Ward, opened a menswear shop, with an entrance through Clyde's confectionery shop; he moved to 'the No. 2 Shop of Mrs. Humphrey, Draper' in April 1949.
In January 1949 a new owner was named; Frank Jones, and a Heretaunga bottle dealer, W. Symons, named the Red Robin as his agents up to October 1949.
Frank sold the business to a Mr Eddinton in May 1950.
In January 1952 two large upstairs rooms were advertised as suitable for offices.
A May 3 referendum of citizens went 353:283 in favour of a municipal library loan,
and late in that month Chamber of Commerce members were assisting in alterations for use of the upstairs rooms as the borough's first Municipal Library, which opened on July 4, 1952 with 5000 books; the librarian was Miss I Neusch.
Mrs Rae Tatham opened her Mary-Rae Salon on the ground floor on March 7, 1955.
On Friday, September 14, 1956, about 50 fourth-form boys from Heretaunga College moved 6000-7000 books down the outside staircase to waiting trucks, and unloaded them at the new council chambers and library at the western end of Main Street; the official opening was on a Tuesday; the 16th or 23rd.
Ona and Tom McRea ran the Red Robin for several years before moving to the Station Store in Trentham in October 1959.
The new owners were named as Mr and Mrs Frank Hayes in December 1960. Their advertising varied from very small classified ads for their services or staff, to two-column blocks, sometimes illustrated with Santa Claus or eggs and rabbits, for Easters, Mothers' Days, and Christmases.
Mr and Mrs J Burgess took over in August 1961.
Valentines opened a ladies-wear shop in "Russell Street - 'Red Robin Corner'" in September 1962; they may have been in an adjacent building.
Later years are not available in electronic form, and have not been manually searched.
The 'Red Robin corner' building was reportedly built for David Clyde, a Great War veteran; it was not named after him, but after the builder, J J Benge. The Clydes may have been tenants, and may have lived upstairs initially, but in the first readily-available electoral roll, 1929, their home address was given as Seddon Street.
There is a picture, dated 1930, in the library collection; it shows David Clyde in his long white apron, standing in the shop's doorway.
The adjacent Red Robin Confectionery & Tea Rooms, under various titles, was obviously a well-known landmark; it would turn up in lost-and-found advertisements, both in locations where things had been lost or found ('between [some place] and the Red Robin'), and as a place where goods had been found, or could be returned. It was also the venue for various associations' meetings, and some wedding receptions.
The 'Upper Hutt Weekly Review' carried its first advertisement for the Red Robin Tea Rooms on December 20, 1935, shortly after the paper started; a Mrs Burgess was named as in charge in a 1936 article. The phone number was 103, whereas Clyde's number was 134M, on a party line (Duncan's Drapery, across the road, was 134K), so the businesses were apparently unrelated.
The Majestic Theatre's advertisements in the Review sometimes stated 'Box plan at the Red Robin'.
'D. Clyde' advertised in the Upper Hutt Weekly Review from its beginning in 1935; the first advertisement, in December, was about dried fruits for the festive season. In its successor, the 'Leader' at its beginning in 1939, he listed preserving jars and covers at first, and later and more typically, "GROCERIES & PROVISIONS of finest quality at City Prices. Small Goods a Specialty". A later advertisement is notable for the weights to be handled; "POULTRY KEEPERS. Feeding Barley, 1501b. sacks. 14/9*; 50 lbs. 5/-; Mixed Grain, 60 lbs. 7/9; Pollard (Aust.) 1401b. sacks. 16/-; Bran, Meatmeal, Shells, etc."
*14 shillings and ninepence ($1.48) for a sack weighing 68 kg.
By October he was advertising "SWAN BRAND Cooked Ham, Luncheon, Sausages, Bacon, etc. kept in latest Shelvador Refrigerator."
In August 1939 the Red Robin was sold to Mr E M Young.
In June 1940 David Clyde announced that he had passed the grocery and provision business to J W Hazelwood so that he could go on service; outstanding payments could be made at the Red Robin Tea Room, or at his residence. The same paper reported that he had linked up with the Y.M.C.A. and would be going overseas after a short training.
The May 30, 1941 'Leader' listed 'further enlistments' including Mr R Clyde, only son of Mr and Mrs D Clyde, joining the third echelon. R Clyde had turned up in reports on hockey, and was Robert McIntosh Clyde; probably named after his mother, Nora.
In September 1941 Herbert Thompson stated that he had taken over the Red Robin Confectionery and Dining Rooms from a Mrs Corder; Mr and Mrs Thompson offered midday 3-course meals, hot teas, and after-theatre suppers. Its telephone number in 1944 was 134S; the Red Robin may have taken over the grocery space.
(This Mr Thompson may have been the local newsagent, and owner of the Majestic and Mayfair theatres.) Note from Brian Pearce - the latter was Allan Kohn Thompson.
The 1944-47 borough electoral roll listed David Clyde, soldier, and Nora, married; Robert, shopkeeper, and Elizabeth, his wife, all living in Seddon Street.
In September-October 1946 Miss Nola King, photographer, advertised; her studios were above the Red Robin.
In October 1946, R(obert) M Clyde was named as proprietor of the Red Robin Tea Rooms.
R G Bird's lawn-mowing service ("No Grass Too Tough for this Bird") named the Red Robin as his agents from May to November 1947.
By September 1947 the Red Robin Pastrycooks was being run by D Clyde, had installed a Modern Electric Oven, and were in a position to cater for Dances, Parties, etc. Soon they were offering weekend special cakes, which could also be bought at Stott's, in Camp Road, and later, at Childs', Pinehaven.
In October 1947, Leo Quinn, back from the war, and originally advertised as being with Bill Ward, opened a menswear shop, with an entrance through Clyde's confectionery shop; he moved to 'the No. 2 Shop of Mrs. Humphrey, Draper' in April 1949.
In January 1949 a new owner was named; Frank Jones, and a Heretaunga bottle dealer, W. Symons, named the Red Robin as his agents up to October 1949.
Frank sold the business to a Mr Eddinton in May 1950.
In January 1952 two large upstairs rooms were advertised as suitable for offices.
A May 3 referendum of citizens went 353:283 in favour of a municipal library loan,
and late in that month Chamber of Commerce members were assisting in alterations for use of the upstairs rooms as the borough's first Municipal Library, which opened on July 4, 1952 with 5000 books; the librarian was Miss I Neusch.
Mrs Rae Tatham opened her Mary-Rae Salon on the ground floor on March 7, 1955.
On Friday, September 14, 1956, about 50 fourth-form boys from Heretaunga College moved 6000-7000 books down the outside staircase to waiting trucks, and unloaded them at the new council chambers and library at the western end of Main Street; the official opening was on a Tuesday; the 16th or 23rd.
Ona and Tom McRea ran the Red Robin for several years before moving to the Station Store in Trentham in October 1959.
The new owners were named as Mr and Mrs Frank Hayes in December 1960. Their advertising varied from very small classified ads for their services or staff, to two-column blocks, sometimes illustrated with Santa Claus or eggs and rabbits, for Easters, Mothers' Days, and Christmases.
Mr and Mrs J Burgess took over in August 1961.
Valentines opened a ladies-wear shop in "Russell Street - 'Red Robin Corner'" in September 1962; they may have been in an adjacent building.

Location
DescriptionTwo-storey commercial building; originally two shops 15 1/2 by 12 and 23 by 12 feet, with 16 by 24 foot dining room, hall, and 10 foot by 16 foot kitchen behind; 3-bedroom apartment above, later used as the city's first library.
Coordinates[1] 
Coordinates[1] 
Details
Established1920s

Benge's Building, 146-148 Main Street; Red Robin Milk Bar and first library. Upper Hutt City Library, accessed 19/03/2026, https://uhcl.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/21872




