HistoryThe original Moonshine Bridge was built by Sykes & Shaw of Upper Hutt. It was officially opened on 24 May 1913 by T.M. Wilford, the local MP. This bridge was demolished in 1987 and replaced by a new curved bridge that was part of the River Road development of State Highway 2. The older bridge's fate had not (apparently) been decided as late as June 1984.