PhotographerDon McLeodDescriptionFirst bank building on this site a Bank of Australasia branch, built in 1929; the name changed to Australia and New Zealand Bank, and eventually to ANZ.
This building opened on February 4, 1980. The building's architects were Mitchell and Mitchell and Partners; builders were Gibson and O'Connor.
The ANZ took over the National Bank in 2003, in 2012 they dropped the name. In 2014 they closed this branch and moved across Main Street to the former National Bank, next to Lion Court. The building's owners, Zetland Properties, put it up for sale in March 2015. Cameron Macneil bought the building in September 2016, intending to convert it to upstairs apartments and downstairs retail. T J's Barbers moved in from 148 Main Street in June 2017, and added a cafe, with a window opening onto Main Street.
The May 10, 1977 'Leader' printed a photo of an earlier building on this site, which had begun as the Bank of Australasia. That picture was dated 1951, 'before additions were made'; three bays were added on the eastern side, and the bank's renaming as the Australia and New Zealand Bank may have happened at the same time. The bank was to move into Astral Towers on May 23, 1977, after 48 years in that building, which was demolished to make way for this one.Date Taken25th December 2012Geotagnot specified