Date1857 - 2015DescriptionJohn McHardie established the Highland Home Hotel and in 1857 was recorded as a licenced victualler. The hotel was situated on Fergusson Drive between Fortune Lane and Ward Street.
In 1865 John sold the hotel to john Wilkins. In 1872 the hotel was renamed the Railway hotel - a name influenced by the establishment of the railway line between Wellington and Wairarapa.
In 1901 the owner Francis Joseph McGovern began building a new hotel on the south corner of Ward Street and Fergusson Drive. In 1902 before the new hotel was occupied the old hotel burnt to the ground. In 1903 the new Railway Hotel changed its name to Trentham Hotel.
Locals often referred to the hotel by the surname of the owner or proprietor. In 1916 proprietor Richard Quinn requested a name change to Quinn's Post after a WW1 position at Gallipoli but the owners objected. However in 1957 the hotel was officially changed from Trentham Hotel to Quinn's Post Hotel.
In 1970 improvements were made to the hotel including the establishment of motels and Red Coaches restaurant. The motel buildings are now part of the Fergusson Rest Home.
In 1998 the Quinn's Post Tavern was opened in Ward Street. On the same area of land (section No 94) in Wallaceville the hotel licence has been held continuously for over 160 years.
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Historical Hotels of Upper Hutt; Quinn's Post Hotel (1857 - 2015). Upper Hutt City Library, accessed 19/03/2026, https://uhcl.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/29972