Date1879–1924DescriptionHandwritten records from Mangaroa School (then called Maungaroa School, later Te Marua School and then Brown Owl School), kept by teacher Eliza Evans (née Ladbrooke, 1852–1920) from 1879 to 1924. The school had opened in 1876, initially as a side school from Upper Hutt School, with Mrs Evans as teacher; she remained there after it became an independent school. For the first few years a room in a house was used as a classroom, but the first room of a formal school was built in 1882.